Admissions Criteria for September 2017
Download the 2017 Admission Appeals Timetable as a PDF by clicking here
Allestree Woodlands School is an Academy School (11-18) with enhanced resource facilities for Hearing Impaired students. It does not select on the basis of ability.
Standard Admissions Number: 225
Applications for a place at Allestree Woodlands School should be made by stating the school as a preference on the common application form available from Derby City Education Authority. This common application form must be returned to Derby City Council - not the school, by the closing date.
A prospectus containing information about the school for parents of prospective students will be available at our Open Evening in September 2015.
All parents/carers will be notified regarding their application for a place by Derby City Council.
Where applications exceed the number of places available the following criteria are applied by the Governing Body Admissions Committee in the order set out below to decide which students to admit:
- A 'looked after child' or a child who was previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became subject to an adoption, residence, or special guardianship order. A looked after child is a child who is (a) in the care of a local authority, or (b) being provided with accommodation by a local authority in the exercise of their social services functions (see the definition in section 22(1) of the Children Act 1989).
- Children who are both living in the normal area served by the school and have brothers or sisters still attending the school at the time of their admission. Brothers and sisters are classed as having one or both natural parents in common, are related by a parent’s marriage or are adopted or fostered. Brothers and sisters must be living at the same address.
- Other children living in the normal area at the time of admission.
- Children who do not live in the normal area served by the school but who have brothers or sisters attending the school at the time of their admission. Brothers and sisters are classed as having one or both natural parents in common, are related by a parent’s marriage or are adopted or fostered. Brothers and sisters must be living at the same address.
- A child with a parent/carer who are employed at Allestree Woodlands School.
- Other children whose parents have stated Allestree Woodlands School as a preference on the common application form.
- Children whose parents stated Allestree Woodlands School as a preference on the common application form but did not return the form to Derby City Education Authority by the closing date.
In categories 2 to 5, when choices have to be made between children satisfying the same criteria, children living nearest to the school, measured by a straight line between their residence and the school, have priority. In category 7, places will be allocated in the same order of priority as for categories 2 to 5. Where children in category 7 have equal priority, places will be allocated to those living nearest to the school, measured by a straight line between the home address and the school using the National Ordinance Survey Set Points.
Note: The Governing Body Admissions Committee reserves the right to verify information and, if misrepresentation is confirmed, refuse or cancel the place.
Local Authorities are required to have ‘Fair Access Protocols’ in order to make sure those unplaced children who live in the Local Authority, especially the most vulnerable, are offered a place at a suitable school as quickly as possible. This includes admitting children above the published admissions number to schools that are already full.
Right of Appeal
Should the Governing Body Admissions Committee be unable to offer places to all students who have applied the parents/guardians will have the right to appeal to -
The Independent Appeals Panel, C/o Allestree Woodlands School, Blenheim Drive, Allestree, Derby DE22 2LW
Parents will be given this information in the letter informing them of a Governing Body Admissions Committee's decision regarding places.
If the number of applications exceeds the number of places available a waiting list will be established and maintained until the end of September 2015 by Derby City Council using the above criteria.
Applications Made Outside of the Normal Round of Admissions
An application for a place can be made at any point during the school year by stating Allestree Woodlands School as a preference on the common application form obtained from and returned to Derby City Council. The Governing Body Admissions Committee will consider the application against the above criteria and a place will be offered by Derby City Council and/or the school if one is available.